Smoked salmon is one of those foods I could eat all day, everyday. Especially with eggs…SO delicious. Add avocado and it’s a little piece of heaven. I originally got this recipe from PaleOMG and changed a few little things. Side note, PaleOMG has some incredible recipes if you’re trying to follow a paleo or mostly paleo diet, OR if you just like awesome food. Plus, Juli, the author of the blog is hilar. Super sarcastic and I pretty much want to be her best friend.
This recipe requires a lot of eggs and while we’re on the topic of eggs let me just say a few things. I don’t buy store-bought eggs and I would encourage you not to either. Here’s why. You will see eggs sold in the grocery store that are labeled ‘free range’, ‘cage free’, etc. however, these terms are not regulated and gross practices like beak cutting and forcing the egg production cycle are allowed in these farms. Plus, many times the chickens are starved and other repulsive things are done to the animals in these mass producing
factories farms. (Read more on egg carton labeling and the inhumane practices here) I refuse to support all of that. For those reasons I have always sought out a local farmer who has happy, healthy chickens that run around outside, eat a diet that they were designed to eat, and lay eggs when they naturally would. An added bonus, the eggs can be cheaper this way. I usually pay around $3.00 a dozen. With all of that said, eggs can be an extremely healthy addition to any diet, but ONLY if you’re eating eggs from healthy hens. And in my opinion that only comes from a conscientious farmer whose end goal is truly caring about the animals and producing an amazing product. By the way, the same goes for meat and the dairy products. Avoid the grocery store, if you can. There are many wonderful, local farmers out there raising healthy animals so please, please support them!
10 oz wild caught smoked salmon
Bundle of asparagus, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 avocado, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp coconut oil
Fresh dill, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Whisk the eggs in a bowl and add salt and pepper.
2. Melt coconut oil in a cast iron skillet, sauté asparagus and mushrooms for 4 minutes or just before they’re soft. Add garlic and sauté for another minute. Salt and pepper the veggies.
3. Pull apart the smoked salmon so that it’s in bite sized bits and add to your egg mixture. Add sautéed vegetables to the egg mixture.
4. Poor the egg/veggie mixture back into the cast iron skillet.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes or until frittata is set in the middle.
6. Garnish the slices with avocado and fresh dill. Stuff your face.
I think I ate three portions when I made this. So, so, so good! My kids devoured this, too. Always a plus.